Reasonably new company, Mars City Design, was formed in 2015 by Vera Mulyani who is a self-proclaimed “Marschitect”. Just last January, Vera decided she wanted to form her company that would bring together like minded people and is focused on developing blueprints for the first self-sustaining city on Mars.
To give her company the boost it needed to carry out its next task, Vera went on Kickstarter to try and raise some capital. This proved to be a successful move for her, and over $30,000 was raised that would enable the company to proceed with their plan. The next mission for the group, to be completed within the next three years, is to 3D print three to-scale habitat prototypes of proposed Martian cities at the Reaction Research Society’s test area in the Mojave Desert.
Plans will commence this September at the University of Southern California where the prototypes will be designed by a group of highly talented engineers, designers, and architects from all around the world. The Martian City will be based on a small group of four people initially that will be able to grow eventually to a city of over 1,000. Among the designs to be used as the prototype are:
- A proposal for an urban settlement with river systems and artificial waterfalls;
- An autonomous environment that uses Martian soil to provide a sustainable source of oxygen, water, energy, and nutrition;
- Vertical farms that allow food to be grown on Mars in a controlled environment;
- Laser explosion technology that will create constructions rapidly
- A research colony that would use Martian techniques and materials to support human life
So, with Elon Musk and Vera Mulyani both having big plans involving Mars up their sleeves, it is inevitable that will soon cross paths. Then who knows what the future would hold. With Elon’s vision to have 1 million people in Mars within a century and Vera’s eye for design in the world of Martians, anything would be possible if these two did put their heads together.
More News To Read
- Tesla’s New Gigafactory is Already Making Good Impressions
- What’s All the Hype Around Kinesio Tape?
- “Future-Proof” Low Voltage Switchboards
- Looking For Something Different? Then How About Onak – The Origami Foldable Canoe
- Robots Get To Grips With Their Creative Side