Dwight’s legacy of innovation and personalized learning dates back to 1872. They are proud of their long and rich history as a premier independent school, landmark New York City educational institution, and a pioneering global network of schools.
From the very beginning, their school was designed to prepare graduates for admission to Harvard and Yale; their school’s namesake is Yale’s twelfth President, Timothy Dwight V (also known as Timothy Dwight, the Younger).
For 145 years, their visionary leaders have transformed the educational landscape, while their illustrious alumni have left their mark in our world.
WHY IS DWIGHT DIFFERENT THAN OTHERS?
Dwight School is an internationally renowned independent school (nursery-grade 12) committed to educating the next generation of innovative global leaders — one student at a time. Providing a personalized experience for each student through the academically rigorous International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum, Dwight is dedicated to “igniting the spark of genius” in every child. This year, Dwight School was recognized by the IB organization as a world leader in international education.
- No two students are alike — and no two student journeys at Dwight are the same
- Dwight customizes an educational path for every student based on interests and talents
- Dwight’s student-teacher ratio is among the lowest for New York City independent schools
- Dwight is a close-knit, diverse community in which every student is empowered to make a difference
- Established mentorship programs create bonds between older and younger students inside and outside the classroom
- Dwight’s community partnership in East Harlem created the Dwight School Athletic Center
- Dwight is the flagship campus of The Dwight Schools, a global network of IB World Schools in London, Seoul, Shanghai and Dubai.
- Dwight students participate in exchange programs, curricular and creative collaborations, online programs, international athletic competitions, and global leadership conferences
- Dwight is the first school in the Americas to offer the comprehensive IB curriculum for students ages 3-19
- The IB educates students to be globally minded critical thinkers and global leaders
- The IB is the “gold standard” in pre-university preparation
- Student innovation and creativity are nurtured across campus. An after school “Spark Tank” helps students of all ages develop social entrepreneurial initiatives.
- Their 1:1 iPad/laptop program for students begins in fourth grade and ensures access to the latest technologies for learning
- In Dwight’s MakerSpace, students craft and invent, reflecting their passions
- Their brand-new, state-of-the-art rooftop pavilions, which include an open observatory, are designed to be flexible learning and studio spaces in which students can explore, create, and let their imaginations soar.
Think online schools are glorified YouTube tutorials? Think again.
The innovative Dwight Global Online School combines real-time online video conferencing seminars, Oxford-style tutorials, and a college-style schedule. The program sees a variety of students including young sports and arts professionals, children of government officials who relocate frequently and others. These students are offered a flexible school schedule, a challenging curriculum and personalized attention from their teachers.As a leader in online education, Dwight Global Online School and its teachers and administrative staff are at the forefront of debunking the myths that persist about an online education such as:
- Students can never meet a teacher in person
- The coursework is less challenging
- They won’t get into a good college due to a diploma that will not transfer
- Online schools only focus on technology, not content
- Going to school online is an “Easy A”
- Online schools are not About the InteractionAll of Dwight’s online students are active members of the Dwight community, and many of this year’s seniors will walk at graduation with the New York campus students.
Within two years a radical shift will begin to occur in the world of education. And a good education became more important than ever. Dwight is one of the best schools to fulfill their responsibilities in this regard.
For more information about the school, please visit Dwight School